History of BTG
The Beverly Theatre Guild (BTG) was formed to promote the development of talent and community interest in theatre arts through theatrical productions. During its history, this mission has been exemplified through more than 150 full-scale productions and numerous involvements in neighborhood and educational events. BTG is non-profit and currently operates out of Baer Theater at Morgan Park Academy, 2153 West 111th Street in Chicago.
With its original inception as a community Park District program in 1929 BTG was the first community theatre company in Chicago. In 1963 a group of theater enthusiasts broke from the park district program and extended the program capacity by producing a play at St. Xavier College. In the 1960s BTG shared the original Beverly Arts Center at Morgan Park Academy with other community artists. After a six-year sojourn with the new Beverly Arts Center (2002-2008), BTG decided to return to the original home at Baer Theater within Morgan Park Academy, renting the theater space and sharing it with Academy. The Guild continues to present high quality, diverse productions for patrons in the Beverly and surrounding Southside Area.